MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Status line W

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> TSO and ISPF
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Celeste Locklin
Beginner

Topics: 10

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Status line W Reply with quote

somehow i activated something that is indicated by a W in the status line on the bottom just to the right of where the insert indicator ^ is. anyone know what i did and how to undo it ?
William Collins
Supermod

Topics: 0

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find where Reset is in your emulator. You may have to look at the key definitions, or you may find an extra panel is available in the emulator with all the funky 3270-type keys.

Does it cause you a problem?

Before getting rid of it, try Ctrl-RightArrow. Does that "jump" to the next word?
Celeste Locklin
Beginner

Topics: 10

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never could get rid of it, it went away when i logged off and back on. with the W, when i was insert mode and would insert characters, the existing characters on the line would wrap to a new line that was magically inserted.

i am calling it "Wrap" mode, but i still don't know how i got into it. it cOULD be a handy thing, if one knew how to get it and how to stop it.
papadi
Supermod

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which 3270 emulator is being used?

There should be a description of all of the entries on the screen in the manual for that emulator.

di
William Collins
Supermod

Topics: 0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you are lucky-enough to have an emulator which supports 3270 Entry Assist. You may find documentation/references for it. I used to prefer a mono terminal over colour if it had Entry Assist and four-colour over seven-colour if the four-colour had Entry Assist. As well as the hopping and wrapping, you should be able to delete words.

Although the old terminals were "dumb" the controllers were not. They were effectively mini-computers and some of them would support Entry Assist. Nothing of what you do whilst hopping, wrapping and word-deleting goes to the mainframe, it is all to the controller and back.

Different terminals indicated the availability of Entry Assist in different ways. The exact W you describe was one of them.

There will be some key-sequence to get you there (and out again). As papadi suggested, it should be in your docs. You may also get a bit from your favourite search engine now you know what it is called.

Let us know your emulator. I'd just love to see Entry Assist again, such fond memories of it over the clever people who "insisted" on having the seven-colour screens without it Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> TSO and ISPF All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: