MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DELETE Processing and Foreign Key Requirements

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agredell
Beginner

Topics: 6

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: DELETE Processing and Foreign Key Requirements Reply with quote

I have a table (Fact table in a data mart) with 5 foreign keys; to allow Starjoin to be selected more frequently, I am considering 5 different indexes, each with all 5 columns, but also each with a different key as the first column in that index.

My question is, would DB2 use these indexes for delete processing of the parent (Dimension) tables? I currently have single column indexes for the FK's, but the table contains over 60 Million rows, so I'd like to use smarter indexes, even if they are bigger, and eliminate the little ones if the big ones will suffice. I already know that they will use Starjoin more frequently. Like most warehouses, I don't expect to do standard DELETE processing very often, but I don't want to require a tablespace lock when I do!

Any comments? Further questions? Thanks for any advice in advance!
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agredell,

couldn't offer much on the subject but the best way to detemine is to run an EXPLAIN for delete statement and see how the indexes are used.

Kolusu
agredell
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Kolusu, this is a long-known hole in the EXPLAIN function. You are not directly referencing the child table in your query (so no EXPLAIN output related to the child table), but DB2 must check it during the delete of a parent row. If an index is readily available (like my single-column indexes on the child table), then DB2 can check and finish the delete very quickly. If an index is not available (and I know that for a complex key, even the column sequence must be identical), then DB2 must scan the entire child table looking for children that would either prevent the delete (RESTRICT), or complete the delete (CASCADE). My question is whether the addition of more columns to an index will still allow DB2 avoid the scan, still using the index with it's first column value to check the child table. Is that more clear? Thanks for your thoughts...
bauer
Intermediate

Topics: 49

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agredell,

really nice question. I'm interested for any solution.

Explain doesn't help, and my testing with omegamon tracefacility is although without a solution.

So pls. let us know, if you have any solution.

regards,
bauer
agredell
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Foreign Key and Multi-column Indexes Reply with quote

I was finally able to test the scenario I described, and the delete ran very quickly, so it is apparent that DB2 is indeed able to use a multi-column index to do a referential integrity check.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Database All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: