MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help in better Initiator utilization:- tape file

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Job Control Language(JCL)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karunkallore
Beginner

Topics: 39

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Help in better Initiator utilization:- tape file Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I have this tape data set TEST.FILE1. It is created in some Procs ( say A type procs) with the following disposition.

TEST DD DSN=TEST.FILE1,
DISP=(NEW,CATLG,DELETE),
UNIT=T3480,
LABEL=(1,SL,RETPD=45),
DCB=(RECFM=VB,BLKSIZE=32760,BUFNO=15,TRTCH=COMP)

Now i am using this tape file in many procs ( Say B type procs ) with the following disposition .

RTEST DD DSN=TEST.FILE1,
DISP=OLD,DCB=(BUFNO=15)

I have many jobs kicked into the system of our shop which use this B type procs. Now if 10 jobs are kicked into this sytem with different names ( so same job name solution is ruled out ) and all those use the same B type procs , then all will get Initiators but only the job which gets this file (TEST.FILE1) first will run till completion and others have to wait. Okay others can wait but is there a possiblity to not give initiators to those remaining jobs until the first job is completed. These free initiators can then be used tor running some other jobs thus saving CPU time.

As i already mentioned the same job name could have been a solution but it is not feasilble in this system. Also the file is so huge that it has to be in tape or else if in DASD i could have given DISP=SHR.

Please advise if any other way is there to circumvent this issue.

Thanks in advance,
Karun.
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karunkallore,

Do you want to cancel the jobs if they are in the wait state? If so code an exit which will kill any job which is in wait status. Look for messages IEF863I or IEF099I and kill the jobs.

Hope this helps...

Cheers

Kolusu
karunkallore
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kolsu,

Thanks for the reply.

I do not want to cancel the jobs.

I just want them to run when the first job has done with processing of the file TEST.FILE1. Then only the other jobs acessing this same file ( TEST.FILE1) should get the initiators.

When the first job is running acessing this file TEST.FILE1 other jobs should be in wait and should not get any initiators. After the first is complete then second should run acessing this file TEST.FILE1 and others should be in wait and should not get initiator and the process should go on.

Hope i am clear now. Sorry for any confusion.

Thanks,
Karun.
dneufarth
Beginner

Topics: 0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most shops have a serial initiator class defined. Basically, a class defined to only one initiator.

See if your shop does and give all jobs the same Class= on the Job statement.

Dave
dtf
Beginner

Topics: 8

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If these jobs are being submitted randomly, I know of no easy way to accomplish what you are asking, which seems to be............ If a job is already running that that has exclusive control, do not allow another job to iniitiate which also needs exclusive control.

If is not simply random, then presumably you could schedule the jobs. You could do this either through a schdeduling package, or have one job submit the next via the internal reader.

Another thought would be to have a special class set up, whereby there is only one initiator availabe with that class. If all these jobs were submitted using this class, then only one could ever initiate at a time. This would work fine, but I sense that you are looking for something more generic that would handle all of these types of situations.

The system that I am currently working on has an exit of some type installed which determines if files that are needed are archived. If so, then the job is automatically put on hold while the restore request is satified, and then the job is automatically released once the files have been restored. I do not know how this is accomplished, but perhaps a similar method could be used to accomplish what you are trying to do.
________
digital vaporizer

Last edited by dtf on Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
karunkallore
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear all,

Thanks for all the options.
I just trying to a feasibility analysis of those.
All other options for this issues are highly appreciated.

Thanks once again,
Karun.
karunkallore
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I think i will procedd with the special resource option in OPCA. Here a special resource is attached to a particular application in OPCA. All the jobs will be executed one by one with this option turned on in OPCA.

Thanks for all the help.
Karun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Job Control Language(JCL) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: