MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tape dataset not cataloged

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Job Control Language(JCL)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kris07
Beginner

Topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: tape dataset not cataloged Reply with quote

Hi,
In the job we are writting the data into tape dataset of VB.when there were no records written into that file, the tape dataset is not created and when i tried to use that dataset in other jobs my job ends with jcl error.
below is the disp i am using disp=(new,catlg,delete) to create a tape dataset.

Can u let me know how to retain the tape dataset eventhough there were zero records written to the file.

Thanks,
kris07
dbzTHEdinosauer
Supermod

Topics: 26

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

question: normally when we open for output then close the file, it is cateloged. Have not worked with tape for about 20 years, but on disc, when you open, don't write, close, you have a ds. I would think that tape would work the same way.

are you sure that you are closing the output file?

in the event that tapes function as you say (I can not believe it though), why don't you write a 'header' record at the end of the step when you realize that you have not written any records?

yeah, you need to modify anything that reads this tape, but that is a consequence of not having designed this sub-system properly, if indeed, a tape file will not be created when you properly open, close but do not write - as it will for a disc ds.
expat
Intermediate

Topics: 9

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purely from memory - things may have changed since

One possible way around this, but you would obviously want to test it Shocked

I can recall running IEBGENER with SYSUT1 DUMMY and SYSUT2 being the tape dataset which was then used DISP=MOD in the step that may or may not create the data.

Give it a go, hopefully you will not need to change a few other programs if it still works.

Did a V Quick test, and the tape is called and mounted and catalog'd even though SYSUT1 is DUMMY.

Last edited by expat on Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Job Control Language(JCL) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: