MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Identify Invalid data in a sequential file

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Utilities
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SureshKumar
Intermediate

Topics: 21

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject: Identify Invalid data in a sequential file Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a need to identify invalid data on many files on the mainframe. the issue is similar to that discussed in Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 7:07 am Post subject: Validate every byte in a field.
I need to verify these files using a utility - sort/file-aid. We use Syncsort. Thanks
slade
Intermediate

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Suresh,

How do you define "invalid" data. I you expect a "Y" in a field that contains "N", that could constitue invalid data.

Regards, Jack.
SureshKumar
Intermediate

Topics: 21

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salde,
My problem is similar to the one that was discussed in the following thread. What I need is a Utility solution for this - Sort/File-Aid. Thanks

http://www.mvsforums.com/helpboards/viewtopic.php?t=134

"I have a module that checks for all the valid characters in the keyboard or else replaces it by spaces. This was developed as our file was transmitted from mainframe to UNIX. Any any junk character from mainframe was interpreted as newline character and the whole record got broken into two lines. so what we did was to remove all the junk characters to spaces. Hope this can be of some help. You can use this to create TAB delimited file for UNIX somewhat similar to earlier solutions "
Dibakar
Advanced

Topics: 63

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are expecting just a few junk characters and know the hex value then you can refer to this file-aid solution. Eg, if you want to change all low values by spaces you will use - REPLALL=(01,00,X'00',C' '). Here 01 is starting position, 00 represents upto end of record, X'00' is for low values and C' ' is for spaces.

Diba.
slade
Intermediate

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Suresh,

Can you provide a list of the invalid chars you're looking to bypass (replace w/spaces)?

If you can, I'm sure an answer would be forthcoming.

Regards, Jack.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Utilities All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: