MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

closing and reopening of datasets in a batch program

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Application Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ramkumarinfo
Beginner

Topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: closing and reopening of datasets in a batch program Reply with quote

Hi,

I am new to the mainframe environment. As I was reading
the batch programs I noticed that before explicitly commiting data to db2 tables,
All the datasets are closed and re-opended after the commit.
Can anybody explain why the datasets need to be closed before an
explicit commit in batch programs?

Thanks and Regards,
Ram
dbzTHEdinosauer
Supermod

Topics: 26

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramkumarinfo,

Back in the days the stability of operating systems required (not required, if you did not want to spend all night trying to restart!) this behaviour.

reason: Dataset reading/writing is mostly done in the buffer, only when the buffers are full is data written to DASD. Earlier releases of operating systems software could not guarantee a flush of the buffers to DASD after an ABEND in the run-unit. Thus, restart was a pain, because the DB2 and the qsam/vsam did not match (something had been left in the buffer).

I personnally do not close/reopen with a commit, mainly because the sites that I work at have up-to-date/state-of-the-art operating systems and such silliness as losing stuff in the buffer does not happen.

but, if that is the shop standard, I would follow it!
Ramkumarinfo
Beginner

Topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply,

I am not able to understand still one thing with these code.
They close even the datasets that are opened for read only before
an explicit commit and re-open after the commit is succesfull.
Why they do this? Is it just blindly doing things uniformly or they
have resons for?

Thanks and Regards,
Ram
dbzTHEdinosauer
Supermod

Topics: 26

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always have a checkpoint/restart row in some table. Contained in the row was data indicating how many reads had been accomplished, was used to reposition the read dataset during restart.

your run-unit must have some repositioning logic after the close/open which probably is also used during restart. Saves having two types of open logic. the read counter is either zero (begining of new job) or a number indicating restart/reopen after commit.

Quote:
Is it just blindly doing things uniformly or they have resons for?

a word to the wise....don't assume they do things without thinking. You are new to group, 'just blindly' assuming may make your stay short or difficult.

The buffering problem was a real PITA; that's why I don't work at a site where you have to constantly program around a system shortcoming. 3 in the morning is a really bad time to have learned that the opsys did not do what it should have. I would venture to say there is only about 10% of running COBOL code that isn't legacy. You will find all kinds of oddities; be careful of the attitude that you display to your co-workers.
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

As I was reading the batch programs I noticed that before explicitly commiting data to db2 tables, All the datasets are closed and re-opended after the commit.

wow are these IMS BMP programs? AFAIK IBM has removed the need of opening/closing GSAM datasets.

Kolusu
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Application Programming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: