MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CA-7 schedule problem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Job Control Language(JCL)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
satya_mn_99
Beginner

Topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: CA-7 schedule problem Reply with quote

Hi

We have the following senario where we need to run the group of jobs 4 times a day in Production thru CA-7. Our plan is like this :

Set 1 (8AM) Set 2(10AM) Set 3(1PM) Set 3(5PM)

Job A Job A Job A Job A
Job B Job B Job B Job B
Job C Job C Job C Job C
Job D Job D Job D Job D

Here SET2 JobA should only start after successful completion of SET1 JOBD and subsequent sets also should do the same.

Please help on this .....
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

satya_mn_99,

You can use Virtual resource manager to put a hold on the jobs.

pick a dataset from each of Job b job c and job d and add it in VRM for Job a. So if any of the jobs are excueting they will have a hold on that dataset. so JOBA will wait all they are complete.

Hope this helps...

Cheers

Kolusu
satya_mn_99
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx, for the reply, But this doesn't solve our problem. We need some kind of solution in CA-7. We have around 60 jobs in each set, we can' t have hold on datasets like that.

Anyone have anyother idea ?????????
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

satya_mn_99,

The VRM is *indeed* a CA-7 Solution. Talk to your schedulers , and they will let you know how to set up the VRM.

Kolusu
satya_mn_99
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our schedule guys are not comfortable to keep a hold on datasets, any other solution in CA-7 ?
SureshKumar
Intermediate

Topics: 21

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

satya_mn_99,
If you don't want to utilize the datasets as Kolusu suggested, take a VRM on the Job, talk to schedulers
Add resource whatever-name to job A
satya_mn_99
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions .... We have spoken with schedule group and we were told that there was a facility that the sencond set of jobs can be triggered after successful completion of 1st set even though the job names are same in those sets.

Thanks again ....
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

We have spoken with schedule group and we were told that there was a facility that the sencond set of jobs can be triggered after successful completion of 1st set even though the job names are same in those sets.

Satya_mn_99,

Can you share with us what the facility was?

Kolusu
Xevious
Beginner

Topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are single threading the jobs, Rav's suggestion is perfect. If you aren't, the amount of preds/triggering could add up (assuming you have 60 jobs per set). VRMs allow you to bypass alot of coding and make the cycle more streamline. CA-7 gives you multiple options, your Production Control/Scheduling group should know the most efficient way.

The "facility" that you are speaking of, is the DB option from the primary menu. All manipulation of CA-7 jobs/components are done through here (with the exception of BTIs).

Good Luck
arunkantony
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Complex CA-7 Scheduling Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a similar issue but the difference is that any number of JOB A could get triggered simultaneously since it is demand dataset triggered. So what I require is after the completion of JOB D of the first set, I need to start the running of JOB A of next set.

Please help me in resolving this
Jaya
Beginner

Topics: 10

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arunkantony,

Quote:
Hi,
I have a similar issue but the difference is that any number of JOB A could get triggered simultaneously since it is demand dataset triggered. So what I require is after the completion of JOB D of the first set, I need to start the running of JOB A of next set.

Please help me in resolving this
CaptObvious
Beginner

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that the problem here is that the job is externally triggered by the dataset, which is taking some of the control away from CA-7. Rather than triggering the job, I would schedule it under SCHID=0 for a submit time of 8:00am, and make the dataset a dependency. If the dataset doesn't arrive, the job doesn't submit.

Once JobD completed it could then trigger JobA, SCHID=1. This different schedule ID specifies a submit time of 10:00am. At the end of that jobstream JobA is triggered again, under SCHID=2... and so on.
arunkantony
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jaya/CaptObvious for your suggestions!

Sorry I guess I have confused you. I shall explain the scenario again in a different manner.

We have two jobs J1 and J2.

Job J1 is triggered by demand dataset (which we have no control over, so any number of jobs could get triggered)
This job will pull a file from third party FTP site (CE Mailbox) to MVS dataset.

Job J2 is triggered by Job J1
This job will transfer the file created by Job J1 to Teradata (through PM4DATA).

So the next instance of J1 should start only after the successful completion of job J2 of the previous set, otherwise before the file transfer happens the dataset will get overwritten.

Also if we put J2 as a requirement of J1 in CA-7, after the successful completion of J2 of the first set, the requirement of second and third instance of job J1 get satisfies and this will again create issues.

If there are only two files coming up simultaneously we could have solve this, but in this case we are having more than 3 files coming up.

Please let me know how we could solve this. Your help will be highly appreciated...

CA-7 Experts,
Is there any possible way we could treat job J1 and J2 as a single group? So that the successful completion of the previous group will only start the next group of jobs (J1, J2) to start running?
Suggestions please...

--Arun
Jaya
Beginner

Topics: 10

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arun,
Answer these following questions...
Quote:
CA-7 Experts,
Is there any possible way we could treat job J1 and J2 as a single group? So that the successful completion of the previous group will only start the next group of jobs (J1, J2) to start running?

Even if your job J1 starts after the successful completion of J2 of previous batch, How do you ensure job J1 will always pick a fresh copy of file from third party FTP site (CE Mailbox) to MVS dataset without missing any?

Also I find no reason for J1 to pick a constant file from the FTP site and process it again and again.

Quote:
If there are only two files coming up simultaneously we could have solve this, but in this case we are having more than 3 files coming up.

I assume that your job J1 would get triggered by a single DSN=AAA.BBB.CCC. There can't be 2 posts simultaneously from the same DSN. As i had mentioned in my earlier post, this DSN would be corrupted since you have no control over it. More worser is the case if your job J1 uses this DSN.

Also, what happens if your job J1 aborts due to some outage..
Whether the third party file will be refreshed with the new version or will it wait till you pick the file?

Hence i had suggested you to send a tag file in your JOB J2 to the third party FTP site saying that your job chain J1-> J2 is completed.
Now your third party can proceed to create the next version of file and after that they can send you the post again to trigger your next J1->J2 chain.

Hope i am right! Also i am eagerly waiting to know if that can be achieved in CA7 without the communication with the third party.

Thanks,
Jaya.
CaptObvious
Beginner

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered combining the steps of Job1 and Job2 into a single job?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Job Control Language(JCL) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: