MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Take a dump of SMF data sets to a flat file !!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Job Control Language(JCL)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amit4u79
Beginner

Topics: 36

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Take a dump of SMF data sets to a flat file !! Reply with quote

Hi, I have a requirement to take a dump of all 3 SMF data sets(sys1.man1/2/3) to a flat file. I have used IDCAMS and it copies data to a flat file but there are some roadblocks here :

a) When I give a LISTCAT against the SMF VSAM data set it shows that it has an AVGLRECL of 4086 and MAXLRECL of 32767, but to take the backup to a flat file I would need to allocate it as VB, LRECL of 32767, but that LRECL is not allowed for allocation of a data set.

b) It uses 250 cyls of data and my TSO region size limit does not allow me to allocate a data set with such a space size ....anyways this is an issue I can take care of...but kindly help me resolve the first issue...

Thanks,
- Amit.
nevilh
Beginner

Topics: 0

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

//COPY      EXEC PGM=IFASMFDP                               
//SYSPRINT  DD SYSOUT=*                                     
//IN        DD DISP=SHR,DSN=SYS1.MAN1
//OUT       DD DISP=(,CATLG),DSN=output.file,UNIT=3390, 
// SPACE=(CYL,(250,100))                                   
//SYSIN     DD *                                           
INDD(IN,OPTIONS(DUMP))                                     
OUTDD(OUT,TYPE(000:255))
/*
Bill Dennis
Advanced

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Look at LRECL=X parameter in JCL manuals

2) SMF records exist as RECFM=VBS, meaning a large record can span multiple, smaller physical blocks. When you read your flat file, you'll need to allow for this. There are DCB parameters (BKTEK=A,BFALN=D) to assist with this.

Disclaimer: My comments on this foorum are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity.
taltyman
JCL Forum Moderator
JCL Forum Moderator

Topics: 8

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SMF data you want is probably already being stored in a gdg. The SMF data in the man files is just the most current records. The way the smf man files work normally is: one is the 'current' one and records are written there then it fills up and SMF switches to the next one; automation or an mpf exit then dumps and clears the one that filled up. So at any point in time you could have one (or two) empty, or one being dumped/cleared and one partially full or a similar combination. Try the D SMF mvs system command to see your current situation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Job Control Language(JCL) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: