MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

calculating the maximum record length for a file

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Job Control Language(JCL)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mfuser
Banned

Topics: 58

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: calculating the maximum record length for a file Reply with quote

Members,

I would like to know the maximum record size in bytes that can be specified for a file in a Cobol Program.Actually i have a FD defination structure whose record contains 32767 bytes.The program is getting compiled successfully but when i use in JCL i am getting the error:
Code:

//            DCB=(LRECL=32767,RECFM=FB,BLKSIZE=32767)

ERROR
Code:

IEF638I SPECIFIED NUMERIC EXCEEDS MAXIMUM ALLOWED IN THE LRECL SUBPARAMETER OF THE DCB FIELD
Can any one help me out how can i run the JCL successfully ?
If we need to have the record structure greater than 32767 bytes , can we have it and if yes how would the JCL be and what would be the BLKSIZE ?
superk
Advanced

Topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to The z/OS V1R7.0 MVS JCL Reference:

Quote:

Specifies (1) the length, in bytes, for fixed length records or (2) the maximum length, in bytes, for variable-length records.
The value of bytes is:

1 to 32,760 for non-VSAM data sets.

1 to 32,761 for VSAM key-sequenced (KS), entry-sequenced (ES), or relative record (RR) data sets. (LRECL does not apply to VSAM linear space, RECORG=LS, data sets.)
For VSAM key-sequenced (KS) data sets, a record length must be specified, either explicitly with the LRECL or LIKE parameter, or in the data class for the data set. The record length must be greater than the key length.

Note: When RECFM is F or U, the length must not exceed DCB BLKSIZE. For RECFM=D or V, the length must not exceed BLKSIZE minus 4. For RECFM=VS, the length can exceed BLKSIZE. For unblocked records when DCB RKP=0, the length is for only the data portion of the record. LRECL=0 is valid only for RECFM=U.

Additional Syntax:

LRECL=nnnnnK
Specifies the length in kilobytes for variable-length spanned records in ISO/ANSI/FIPS Version 3 tape data sets that are processed by the Data Facility Product using the extended logical record interface (XLRI). nnnnn is from 1 through 16,383 and indicates multiples of 1024 bytes. The value in the DCB macro must already be coded as LRECL=0K or LRECL=nnnnnK. If a K is coded for any other type of data set, only the numeric value of LRECL is recognized.

LRECL=X
For QSAM only, specifies that the logical record length exceeds 32,760 bytes for variable-length spanned records. This option is not valid for ISO/ANSI/FIPS Version 3 variable-length records.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Job Control Language(JCL) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: