MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

need info on FTP

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> TSO and ISPF
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shekar123
Advanced

Topics: 90

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: need info on FTP Reply with quote

Hai All,

I am basically new to the terminology for FTP jobs and what exactly do we mean by FTP ? In my test shop i see many jobs with FTP steps which send file to other third party vendors.I want to learn from scratch about basics of FTP. My understanding about FTP is that downloading a file from Mainframe to PC by START 6 option is called FTPying,please correct if i am wrong.Can i run some jobs in my test shop to try out examples of FTP ? I have one more query as what kinds of FTP are available and i have info that there are two types TCP/IP and NetView but i do not have any info on what these are and the differences .Please help me out the basic purposes / advantages of FTP and the whole purpose of FTP and types of FTP with any links ?

Shekar123
superk
Advanced

Topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is RFC959 (Request for Comments: 959) from the Internet Standards Community defining the "File Transfer Protocol (FTP)":

ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc959.txt

My understanding is that the term FTP means the use of the File Transfer Protocol over a TCP/IP network. The Netview FTP is the Netview File Transfer Program (not Protocol) and is probably a proprietary offering from IBM.

The z/OS implementation of TCP/IP FTP is documented in the "z/OS Comm Svr: IP User's Guide and Commands" manual here:

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/F1A1B950/CCONTENTS?DT=20050708142126
superk
Advanced

Topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few other small items.

FTP is a Client/Server application, and requires at least three resources:

- An FTP Client (the originator of the FTP session).
- An FTP Server (responding to requests from the Client).
- A TCP/IP Network connection between the Client and the Server.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> TSO and ISPF All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: