MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

query regarding ICEMAN

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Utilities
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pzmohanty
Beginner

Topics: 43

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: query regarding ICEMAN Reply with quote

hi all,

while refering the IBM Quick Reference on Mainframe, i found the following thing which baffled me:---
when referring the Quick reference for SYNCSORT , it says that the SYNCSORT utility can also be invoked by writting PGM=ICEMAN in JCL.

And while referring the DFSORT utility through Quick reference , it too says that the DFSORT can also be invoked by writting PGM=ICEMAN in JCL .

Now my doubt is that how come same ICEMAN can be used to invoke 2 different utilities i.e DFSORT & SYNCSORT.

Thanks in advance
P.R.Mohanty
Hyderabad
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pzmohanty,

ICEMAN, SORT are two of the program aliases that can be used to invoke the sort product.ICEMAN is the program name for DFSORT. You can invoke DFSORT with PGM=ICEMAN. DFSORT is also shipped with an alias of SORT, so you can use PGM=SORT

DFSORT's official three-character identifier is ICE, so all of the DFSORT modules start with ICE (ICEMAN, ICETOOL, ICEGENER, etc) and all of the DFSORT messages start with ICE (ICExxxs).

other sort products(Syncsort, ca-sort) use (SORT,ICEMAN) as an alias. So when you use PGM=SORT or PGM=ICEMAN, you'll get the sort product installed at your site.

Hope this helps...

Cheers

Kolusu
pzmohanty
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi kolusu,

Thanks for the information , but i am still not comfortable with all these INTERCHANGABILITY of utility names..........

Now that it is clear that ICEMAN is linked to which utility( DFSORT or SYNCSORT) depends on INSTALLATION , but again i have a doubt regarding ICETOOL........

I believe ICETOOL is not an ALIAS but instead is a IBM utility which uses DFSORT in the backend to fetch us the required result...........

But i was baffled when i looked into TOOLMSG of ICETOOL JCL .........
the TOOLMSG information says the following :
Quote:

************************ TOP OF DATA *************************
SYT000I SYNCTOOL RELEASE 1.4C - COPYRIGHT 2002 SYNCSORT INC.
SYT001I INITIAL PROCESSING MODE IS "STOP"
SYT002I "TOOLIN" INTERFACE BEING USED

COPY FROM(INFILE) TO(OUT1,OUT2)
SYT020I SYNCSORT CALLED WITH IDENTIFIER "0001"
SYT030I OPERATION COMPLETED WITH RETURN CODE 0

SYT004I SYNCTOOL PROCESSING COMPLETED WITH RETURN CODE 0
************************** BOTTOM OF DATA ***********************

which explicitly says that it is SYNCSORT utility..........

what does that MEAN.............

Does it means ICETOOL is a IBM utility but LINKS up to whatever SORT utility present at particular INSTALLATION to fetch us required result.......

Please put to rest my anxiety towards all this INTERCHANGABILITY.

Expecting a detail explanation on all these clouds of doubt regarding SYNCSORT & DFSORT.
i request KOLUSU & FRANK to give a detail answer so that it will help all Forum Members to have a good understanding of WHAT is WHAT.

Thanxs in advance............
P.R.Mohanty
Hyderabad
superk
Advanced

Topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Expecting a detail explanation on all these clouds of doubt regarding SYNCSORT & DFSORT.
i request KOLUSU & FRANK to give a detail answer so that it will help all Forum Members to have a good understanding of WHAT is WHAT.

Personally, I understand the concept of a program alias and don't need any further details. I also follow the development standards of my shop to determine what is the correct (i.e. standard) program name to use, so I don't need to care.

I think that this is an issue you should be addressing internally within your own company with your systems support staff.
pzmohanty
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi superk,

what i am expecting from experienced people like you to let us (not that experienced) people have a better understanding of WHAT is WHAT.

May be as u said u don't care much about the Query , but it will be of immense help to people like us , if u can share ur views or understandings about the topic with us.

thanx
Hyderabad
Frank Yaeger
Sort Forum Moderator
Sort Forum Moderator

Topics: 31

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pzmohanty,

As Kolusu says, "ICE" is the official IBM 3-character designation for DFSORT. ICETOOL is a fully documented, fully supported free utility shipped with IBM's DFSORT. When DFSORT is installed as the primary sort product at a site, PGM=ICEMAN and PGM=SORT invoke DFSORT and PGM=ICETOOL invokes DFSORT's ICETOOL.

IBM has no way to prevent another product from using ICEMAN, SORT, ICETOOL or any other program name as names for that product's programs. Syncsort has chosen to use ICEMAN and SORT as aliases for Syncsort. Syncsort has chosen to use ICETOOL as an alias for its undocumented SYNCTOOL. So when Syncsort is installed as the primary sort product at a site, PGM=ICEMAN and PGM=SORT invoke Syncsort and PGM=ICETOOL invokes Syncsort's SYNCTOOL.

BTW, PGM=SYNCSORT can also be used to invoke Syncsort. To avoid confusion, IBM has chosen not to include SYNCSORT as an alias for DFSORT, although a shop can easily add that alias and some do to make migration from Syncsort to DFSORT easier (so they don't have to change PGM=SYNCSORT to PGM=SORT in their jobs).

In shops where both products are available, one will be the primary sort and the other will be the alternate sort. In that case, the primary sort will be invoked by those names unless you use a JOBLIB or STEPLIB to cause the alternate sort to be invoked.

Note that DFSORT's ICETOOL will only invoke DFSORT since they are always in the same libraries. You either get DFSORT and DFSORT's ICETOOL or you get neither.

Note also that although DFSORT and Syncsort are similar, they are not identical. And as for SYNCTOOL, it's undocumented, unsupported code in Syncsort that only has a subset of the functions available with DFSORT's fully documented, fully supported ICETOOL.

I wish that Syncsort had NOT made ICETOOL an alias for SYNCTOOL to avoid confusion, but IBM has no control over that.
www.ibm.com/storage/dfsort
jacky_ying
Beginner

Topics: 20

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: create alias of a load module Reply with quote

a further question:how to create alias of a load module =^_^= thx
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacky_ying,

You can do that by using DEFINE ALIAS command. check this link for a detailed explanation of the command

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/dgt1v403/3.5?DT=19990113080956

Hope this helps...

Cheers

Kolusu
jacky_ying
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,kolusu

Thanks for your help. I think you might misundertand what i said. The link you gave describes how to create alias for a dataset. What I asked is how to create a alias of a member in load lib. After seraching internet I found this can be done by
binder(HEWL). Am I right? Smile
jacky_ying
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After testing in my shop,I am sure alias can be create like this
Code:

//COBOL    EXEC PGM=IGYCRCTL
//SYSLIN   DD  DSN=&OBJSET
//LKED     EXEC  PGM=HEWL
//SYSLIN   DD  DSN=&OBJSET,DISP=(OLD,DELETE)
//             DD  *
  ALIAS  AAA,BBB,CCC
/*

Very Happy Very Happy
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacky_ying,

Thanks for sharing the code

Kolusu
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Utilities All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: