MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigate to Initial/Custom Menu from ISPF without re-logging
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> TSO and ISPF
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vini
Intermediate

Topics: 48

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Navigate to Initial/Custom Menu from ISPF without re-logging Reply with quote

When I logon to the m/f instead of getting the ISPF Menu , we get a customised Menu ..wherein .. option 1 takes me to ISPF menu.
Since I rarely use anything else on the customised menu I normally do a F3 and using pdf/ispf command on READY Prompt I bypass the customised menu from my session.
However , on the rare occasions that I want to use something off the custom/initial menu ..for ex control M (here) , I have to logoff completely and re-log.
Is there a way I could directly navigate to the intial menu without having to completely logoff and login again in this scenario (having bypassed the init menu i.e) ?!

Last edited by vini on Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vini,

I guess you are aware of splitting the screens. You can have a max of 8 screens at any time.

So First log on to custom menu.

type START at the command prompt and press ENTER.

The start command is similar to the split command. so you will get another custom menu screen.

Now choose option 1 which is ISPF for you. so you always reserve your custom menu as your first screen.

if you want to navigate between screens

Just type 1 at the command prompt and press PF09 you will go to custom menu.
Now if you want to go ispf menu press 2 and press PF09 , It will take you to 2nd screen.

If you ever want to see the no: of split screens , just type SWAP LIST and it will bring a pop up screen with no of split screens.

Hope this helps...

Cheers

Kolusu
vini
Intermediate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kolusu , I am aware of split screen and Start command , cant do without it ! Smile
I have edited my earlier post to make my question more clear . What I am trying to achieve is by bypassing the initial menu. I can do what you have mentioned , but that is exactly what I do not want to do and was curious if there is an alternative.
I guess there is no way Sad
Maton_Man
Beginner

Topics: 0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could solve your problem a number of ways.

1. Copy the customised panel to your own panel library and add a link to the ISPF default menu (the one that comes up when you type ISPF at the READY prompt in TSO)

2. Copy the ISPF default panel own panel library and add a link to the customised panel

3. Write a rexx thus:

/*rexx*/
address ispexec
"SELECT PANEL(CUSTOM)"

When you execute the rexx in ISPF the customised panel will appear and you can select options from it as you would normally. When you PF3 out of your selection and the panel it will return you to where you invoked the rexx.
vini
Intermediate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maton_Man, Option 1 & 2 are out of my scope I believe as am not a sysprog . Option 3 suits me . I have never written a REXX but even if I were to know REXX , how would I know the following:

1) How to know the Exact NAME of the PANEL that I should use. In your example you have called it 'CUSTOM'. Is it the one that appears as the Screen Title at the middle of the top-most line ?! Usually that is more than single word out here though. Maybe this is not what you meant and its available as a code someplace.

2) If the REXX is ready-to-go , I got the following error message when I executed it by TSO EX 'PDS_MEMBER_CONTAINING_REXX'
'A command entered or contained in a CLIST has invalid syntax'

Last edited by vini on Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
vini
Intermediate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravi , I was executing Maton_Mans REXX and was missing the first '/' ... also included the correct Panl Id this time and the REXX worked beautifully... Thanks !!! Very Happy

Is there a way to assign execution of a Rexx to a single key ?
Maton_Man
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can but the effect will differ depending on whether you use keylists or not.

Keylists allow you to have multiple function key setups for different ISPF applications. Therefore if you change your keylist in one place, the keys will not necessarily work the same way in another place.

You can turn keylists on or off depending on how you want to work.

If you have them on then type 'keys' at the ISPF command prompt and change one of the function key definitions to execute your rexx instead of the function that it defaults to. You might need to do this for a number of key lists. To find out the name of all the key lists for a given ISPF application type 'keylist' on the ISPF command prompt. You can then edit each one from there as well.

eg. In this keylist I have set function key 6 to do a TSO %TESTIT5. TESTIT5 is the name of my rexx. This assumes you have a rexx library in your TSO allocation. If you don't then instead of TSO %TESTIT5 put TSO EX 'YOUR.REXX.DSN(REXXMEM)'

Keylist Utility
File

PRIVATE ISR Keylist ISRSPBC Change Row 1 to 12 of 24
Command ===> Scroll ===> CSR

Make changes and then select File action bar.

Keylist Help Panel Name . . . ISRSPBCH

Key Definition Format Label
F1 . . . HELP SHORT Help
F2 . . . SPLIT LONG Split
F3 . . . EXIT SHORT Exit
F4 . . . Refresh LONG Refresh
F5 . . . Rfind LONG Rfind
F6 . . . TSO %TESTIT5 LONG TSO %SEL
F7 . . . UP LONG Up
F8 . . . DOWN LONG Down
F9 . . . SWAP LONG Swap
F10 . . LEFT LONG Left
F11 . . RIGHT LONG Right
F12 . . Retrieve LONG Retrieve

If keylists are off then you can issue the 'keys' command as per above and change it in the same way (although the panel that comes up will look different) and the effect will last all through ISPF.
vini
Intermediate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coool 8) .. Thanks Maton_Man !!!

I was able to successfully edit the existing keylists . How would I activate a New Private keylist after its creation , or is this something which only the Sysprogs can do ?
Also is there any REXX command to help logout directly from ISPF or to reach the ready prompt (atleast) ? Rolling Eyes

Last edited by vini on Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Sreejith
Intermediate

Topics: 25

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The site I work is having a menu like you mentioned and if I press the <attention> form ISPF it will take me to the menu. Also if I type \m it will take me to the main menu. for some reason the 'm' should be in lowercase.

Sreejith
Maton_Man
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever you type in the 'keys' command and modify the function key settings, a new private copy of the active keylist is automatically created. If you delete the private copy then the shared (default) one becomes active.

There is no need to create a new keylist from the keylist panel. If you do then you would have to change the way the application is invoked in order to use the new private keylist.

For example, on my main menu when I first get into ISPF the active keylist is ISRSAB (see below). It is marked as a PRIVATE keylist because I have modified it. This is the same name as the default SHARED keylist so therefore it will get used in preference to the SHARED keylist. I did not create this PRIVATE copy using the NEW option because this would force me to change the name and then it would not be used on this panel anymore. This is because of the way keylists are used in ISPF.

Keylist Utility
File View

Keylist Utility for ISR Row 1 to 14 of 15
Command ===> Scroll ===> CSR

Actions: N=New E=Edit V=View D=Delete /=None

Keylist Type
ISRHELP SHARED
ISRHLP2 SHARED
ISRNAB SHARED
ISRNSAB SHARED
ISRREFL SHARED
ISRREFO SHARED
ISRSAB PRIVATE *** Currently active keylist ***
ISRSLAPP SHARED
ISRSNAB SHARED
ISRSPBC PRIVATE
ISRSPEC PRIVATE
ISRSTRTP SHARED
ISRTASKL SHARED
ISRTEST SHARED

As for your second question, there is no REXX command to do so. There is an ISPF command though - EXIT - which will throw you back to the READY prompt from the main menu. If you have split the screen then EXIT will merely exit the split screen.

I have seem some people claim that LOGOFF (a TSO command) works, but I haven't seen it work at any site I've worked at. It may be an issue of implementation or perhaps some sites override the built-in LOGOFF command with a home grown one.
vini
Intermediate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maton_Man, Thanks a ton for clarifying !!! Smile
You are right , I dont really need to have a New Keylist , was only experimenting at that time. The exisiting ones are quite sufficient.

Guess what ? The EXIT command here was eventually not going upto Ready prompt . It was toggling between the last 2 Spilt screens.
However, the '=X' ISPF command is what I can use here to get to ready prompt.

Agree with you about the TSO LOFOFF command too. This is the message I got, indicates the site has banned its use. Confused
"Invalid command - Commands such as LOGON, LOGOFF, SPF, ISPF, etc. are not permitted."
Hmmm... any good reason why sites disallow use of logoff . Perhaps ,to avoid recovery over-head or to prevent inadvertent cancel without save issues.
Mike Chantrey
Intermediate

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Invalid command - Commands such as LOGON, LOGOFF, SPF, ISPF, etc. are not permitted."
This is a standard message from ISPF, not a site disallowed feature, as far as I know; basically it wants you to terminate ISPF before issueing these command.
Maton_Man
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have said the same as Mike re: LOGOFF. I was speculating however that it could be changed as I have had a person in another forum assert that this command achieved what you wanted (at least it did at their site).

I'm glad that you have sorted everything out.
Mike Chantrey
Intermediate

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you could write your own LOGOFF command that actually did =X;LOGOFF or something easily enough...
vini
Intermediate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, Maton_Man ...Appreciate you sharing your thoughts & Ideas. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> TSO and ISPF All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: