MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Netview FTP Issue - Return code = 16 Reason Code = 28

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Job Control Language(JCL)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manojagrawal
Beginner

Topics: 29

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Netview FTP Issue - Return code = 16 Reason Code = 28 Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a FTP job which has been running normally for years now, but came up with an abend just a while ago. Anyone come across this?

Messages are as follows
Quote:
DVG020I ++++++++++++++++
DVG552I QUEUE HANDLER COMMAND ADD CARRIED OUT FOR USER CEDSID ; RETURN CODE = 0 ; REASON CODE = 0 ;
DVG552I TIME = 10:26:19; REQUEST NUMBER = 37
DVG003I FILE TRANSFER ENDED FOR REQUEST NUMBER 37 ON 04/04/12 AT 10:29:19; RC = 16 ; RSN = 28
DVG554I NETVIEW FTP V2R2M1; BATCH JOB INTERFACE ENDED ON 04/04/12 AT 10:29:19; RETURN CODE = 16 ; REASON CODE = 28
DVG020I ****************
DVG020I ****************

The parameters are as follows:
Quote:
DVG020I SSECURP=('*','*')
DVG020I RSECURP=(XXXFTP,********)
DVG020I SNOTIFY=(XXXXXXX,ABCDE15)
DVG020I RNOTIFY=(YYYYYY,ABCDE1)
DVG020I SFILEID='X.Y.Z(0)'
DVG020I RFILEID='A.B.C(+1)'
DVG012I KEYWORD RTDISP NOW REPLACED BY KEYWORD RSTATOPT ; BUT STILL ACCEPTED
DVG020I RTDISP=CAT
DVG020I RFMODEL='A.B.CSFTP'
DVG020I RMTNODE=ABCDEFG
DVG020I RVOLSER=(SYSDA,SYSDA,SYSDA)
DVG020I RPTJOBLB='A.FTP.JCL'
DVG020I RPTJOBOK=ADATA
DVG020I WAIT=YES

I have checked the Netview FTP Messages and Codes Manual and found the following.
Quote:
Return Code = 16
One of the following occurred, depending on the function being carried out:
If the function was a file transfer, an error occurred during the initialization of the file transfer.
If the function was the termination of the queue handler or a server, an error occurred during the component's initialization.
If the NetView FTP partition was just started an error occurred during initialization of the NetView FTP partition.
Reason Code = 28
Label: RSSUNUS
Description: LU names for remote servers unusable.
The local server tried to initiate an ACF/VTAM session. The attempt failed because ACF/VTAM replied that the LU names
used to identify the remote node were unusable. Probably the LU names were not properly defined in ACF/VTAM.

However I am not able to determine the reason for the error. Anyone faced anything like this. There are other FTP jobs running on the same system which have been successful. I also tried using the parameter RMTLU instead of RMTNODE without success. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks!!!
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manoj,

I am not sure if this helps or not, but The return and reason codes are for a queue handler command or for the file transfer depends on the value of the WAIT parameter and on the outcome of the file transfer

If WAIT=YES( your job has wait=yes), the batch job interface routine adds the file-transfer request to the request queue and then periodically issues a QUERY queue handler command to check the status of the file-transfer request. If a queue handler error occurred before the file transfer ended, the codes are the return and reason code of the QUERY queue handler command. Otherwise the codes are the return and reason code of the file transfer.

May be you can re-submit the job and see if it runs .

Kolusu

www.linkedin.com/in/kolusu
manojagrawal
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kolusu,

The job has been submitted about 5 times over the past 3 days and has failed with the exact same reasons. I tried to get someone to look at the queue handler as i too felt that is where the problem lays... They are still looking at it. What surprises me is that this job has been running for years and its failed now with such a reason. Thanks for your response.
taltyman
JCL Forum Moderator
JCL Forum Moderator

Topics: 8

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NFTP uses sna (vtam) as the transport vehicle. Each side has it's own started task(s) and vtam LUs. These vtam lu pairs will create a session across which the transfer, transfer parameters, etc will flow. From what you describe there is no avaliable session between the 2 sites for NFTP to use. Check with your vtam sysprog or the sysprog at your site that supports NFTP.
manojagrawal
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know the reason for this, but the job finally ran successfully in the next batch cycle. MVS Support didnt do anything for sure, as I had to inform them that it was successful this time. The worst part is we dont know the reason why this abend occurred and we also dont know how it got fixed automatically. There had to be some reason behind this. Shocked
taltyman
JCL Forum Moderator
JCL Forum Moderator

Topics: 8

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd give your support group a F minus. This should have been easy to diagnose. You already have the answer in your paste of the error code. If you have the authority you could find the nftp started task(s) and check their logs from sdsf. If you can logon to the other system you could check that side as well.
With the shrinking sna world and the growth of IP you may want to consider using FTP instead of NFTP for your transfer. However for VSAM files FTP doesn't have a way to transfer them easily.
manojagrawal
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have the authority to see the NFTP log, and as its working, MVS Support must be lost in their other work. I was unable to get any more information regarding this Rolling Eyes.

We are transferring a normal PS dataset and not a VSAM. So I think I can look into using FTP instead of NFTP. Thanks Taltyman and Kolusu for your help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Job Control Language(JCL) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: