MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reg: Replaceable Copy

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> TSO and ISPF
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karavi2000
Beginner

Topics: 26

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:03 am    Post subject: Reg: Replaceable Copy Reply with quote

Hi,

I was copying a member from one dataset to another. Unfortunately with 'Replaceable Copy' switch ON. I dont have a back up of the previous member. Is there any way to get that member which was replaced. Please let me know.

Thanks & Regards,
Ravishankar
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your shop is SMS managed, then you can ask your systems people to restore it for you if they have a backup. usually shops take a backup at the end of the day. Make sure to rename your existing PDS with a new name so that you can have all the members which are created/modified since the last backup.

Hope this helps...

Cheers

Kolusu
karavi2000
Beginner

Topics: 26

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kolusu,

Since we are using Client Mainframes we dont really have authority to ask the System people at Onsite to get the backup. Is there any other way to get the replaced member without any help from System support people? Please let me know.

Thanks & Regards,
Ravishankar
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravishankar,

Unfortunately you cannot recover the old version .Even though ISPF maintains version numbers for updated PDS members, but there is no way to see a previous version. There are no IBM standard utilities to view these old members. You can however recover them using commercial or shareware programs. May be you can find something at CBTTAPE

Hope this helps...

Kolusu
Mike Chantrey
Intermediate

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the PDS has not been compressed since you lost this member, the data will still exist but there will be no directory entry pointing to it. Kolusu referred you to CBTTAPE - I believe there is something at this site called PDS or PDSxxxx which has exactly the function you need (recover deleted member).
You might be able to install it in you own datasets and get it running without sysprog assistance. The question is whether it's worth the effort. How valuable is the data? How easy is it to recreate?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> TSO and ISPF All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: