MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Usage of DB2 Connect and WinSQL

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ramu_mohan21
Beginner

Topics: 41

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Usage of DB2 Connect and WinSQL Reply with quote

HI Board,
Our mainframes System have been divided into 3 parts. 1) Normal Mainframes (Back-end) 2) Front End(Consisting of VB) 3) UNISYS Mainframes. All three systems will interact through messaging.

In Front End System my client will enter SQLs in WinSQL tool to get the data and to delete the data. Accordingly in the back-end DB2 tables will respond. Sometime back we asked our client that how does it happen? We have been told that we need to have DB2 connect in our system.

Here my questions is:
(1)
Whatever the SQLs written in WinSQL(In Front end) will be transferred to Back-end mainframes through DB2 connect and deletes the Z/OS version of DB2?

(or)

WinSQL ONLY interacts the Front-End DB2 tables(I.e DB2 for Windows) and sends the message to Back-end to reflect the same?

(2) Can we get/update the data of the Mainframes DB2 version through front-end(Without calling any Stored Procedues. Do we have any tools like QMF/SPUFI)?

Please clarify.
Software Engineer
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Here my questions is:
(1)
Whatever the SQLs written in WinSQL(In Front end) will be transferred to Back-end mainframes through DB2 connect and deletes the Z/OS version of DB2?

(or)

WinSQL ONLY interacts the Front-End DB2 tables(I.e DB2 for Windows) and sends the message to Back-end to reflect the same?

(2) Can we get/update the data of the Mainframes DB2 version through front-end(Without calling any Stored Procedues. Do we have any tools like QMF/SPUFI)?

1. If you are issuing the DML commands from the Windows and assuming he has authority to delete then he can delete the data and objects.

2. YES. DB2 windows acts as a QMF/SPUFI. It is linked to the mainframe DB2 via ODBC driver and you can retrive the data from the mainframe.

Kolusu

www.linkedin.com/in/kolusu
ramu_mohan21
Beginner

Topics: 41

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kolusu for your clarification.
Software Engineer
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Database All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: