MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with JCL Code

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Job Control Language(JCL)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justastef
Beginner

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Problems with JCL Code Reply with quote

I have a few quick questions. I am new to JCL and am trying to learn it...

1) In an exec statement, the COND parameter is a 4 digit number correct? So I would define it as

COND=0004
?

2) In a job statement, the TIME parameter is in (min,secs). If I just wanted it to run for 50 mins, would I still have to say

TIME=(50,0) or could it just be TIME=50

3) I'm looking through other people examples on the internet of example jcl streams, and am having problems deciphering whether files used by steps are input/output/ or both... anyone know how I can determine that easily????

Thanking you in ADVANCE!!!
bablack
Beginner

Topics: 0

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) you can omit leading zeros, so 4, 04, 004, 0004 are all the same.

2) correct, TIME=50 means 50 minutes

3) you can't tell from the JCL. A DD statement that says DISP=SHR is usually an input dataset, but not always. DISP=NEW or DISP=(,CATLG) or DISP=(,KEEP) creates a new dataset so it almost has to be an output dataset. DISP=MOD means to add records so it is usually an output dataset. But it is the program that determines if a DD is read or written.
[/quote]
Mike
Beginner

Topics: 0

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2) The time is not the duration of the job. It is a limit on the amount of CPU time that can be used within the JOB, it is highly unlikely that any job would consume 50 minutes of CPU tim in 50 minutes, probably even in 500 minutes.

No will encoding the time parameter make a job run for any longer that it takes to do it's job. If a job were to only use 5 seconds CPU and did so in 5 minutes, the job would complete after 5 minutes, irrespective of anything coded in the JCL (OK there are possible exceptions but thats way beyond the scope of this topic).

So to limit a job to 50 minutes duration no you would not code TIME=(50,0). I can't recollect anyway of specifying the duration of a JOB through JCL. Most people would expect a job to do what it has to do in the time it takes to do it, and the time may change vastly from one run to another. You could make a program consider the time and to wait until a given time but that's not JCL.
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justastef,

Check the following links for better understanding.

COND Parameter

TIME Parameter

Hope this helps...

cheers

kolusu

www.linkedin.com/in/kolusu
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Job Control Language(JCL) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: