MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RDW content

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Application Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
misi01
Advanced

Topics: 173

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:01 am    Post subject: RDW content Reply with quote

I don't have access to a mainframe at the moment, otherwise I'd test this myself using DFSORT.

I understand the concept of the RDW for variable files. I'm writing/debugging code on the PC using WinEdit and GNUCobol. My program creates a VB file and I'm wondering about the actual content of the RDW.

Put simply. If the record being written is 10 bytes long. does the RDW contain '000A0000'x (10 for the actual record length), or does it contain '000E0000'x (10 for the actual length + 4 for the length of the RDW)?
Robert Sample
Beginner

Topics: 0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need access to a mainframe to find this information. From https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/zosbasics/com.ibm.zos.zconcepts/zconcepts_159.htm there is (emphasis added by me):
Quote:
V (Variable)
This format has one logical record as one physical block. A variable-length logical record consists of a record descriptor word (RDW) followed by the data. The record descriptor word is a 4-byte field describing the record. The first 2 bytes contain the length of the logical record (including the 4-byte RDW). The length can be from 4 to 32,760 bytes. All bits of the third and fourth bytes must be 0, because other values are used for spanned records. This format is seldom used.
misi01
Advanced

Topics: 173

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Robert. I looked for it, but not as well as you did Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Application Programming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: