MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Remove unused variables - Job holding list file

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> TSO and ISPF
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mainframemouli
Beginner

Topics: 33

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Remove unused variables - Job holding list file Reply with quote

Hi,
I have written a REXX code that will find all the unused variable using the listing dataset for the program.

1. Open endevor , endevor will assign a temporary file for the listing
2. Provide the file as input to the utility

The utility works like this :
3. The utility submits a job taking the input
4. The utility checks for the 'Cross-reference of data names' and whichever variable doesn't have a reference I am writting that to a file.

The problem here is I am getting a job held messages since the endevor is holding the dataset which i require for my job(used by my rexx utility)

When I come out of the listing the job is submitted fine.

The thing which surprised me is I could able to edit the endevor listing file though endevor has opened it , but the job is not reading (i have opened with 'SHR' mode only)

Can any one please let me know , if possible :
1. How Can I run my utility without waiting for the dataset or closing the file in endevor?
2.Why is it i can edit the file but job doesn't read it (waiting for the listing DSN)???
mainframemouli
Beginner

Topics: 33

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have altered my rexx code to read the file in REXX itself without submitting a job .
And written the unused variables into a output file and done '"VIEW DATASET('"DSN"')"'

Its working now. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> TSO and ISPF All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: