Identify Invalid data in a sequential file
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]

MVSFORUMS.com -> Utilities

#1: Identify Invalid data in a sequential file Author: SureshKumar PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:41 pm
    —
Hi,
I have a need to identify invalid data on many files on the mainframe. the issue is similar to that discussed in Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 7:07 am Post subject: Validate every byte in a field.
I need to verify these files using a utility - sort/file-aid. We use Syncsort. Thanks

#2:  Author: sladeLocation: Edison, NJ USA PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:25 pm
    —
Hi Suresh,

How do you define "invalid" data. I you expect a "Y" in a field that contains "N", that could constitue invalid data.

Regards, Jack.

#3:  Author: SureshKumar PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:45 am
    —
Salde,
My problem is similar to the one that was discussed in the following thread. What I need is a Utility solution for this - Sort/File-Aid. Thanks

http://www.mvsforums.com/helpboards/viewtopic.php?t=134

"I have a module that checks for all the valid characters in the keyboard or else replaces it by spaces. This was developed as our file was transmitted from mainframe to UNIX. Any any junk character from mainframe was interpreted as newline character and the whole record got broken into two lines. so what we did was to remove all the junk characters to spaces. Hope this can be of some help. You can use this to create TAB delimited file for UNIX somewhat similar to earlier solutions "

#4:  Author: DibakarLocation: USA PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:23 am
    —
If you are expecting just a few junk characters and know the hex value then you can refer to this file-aid solution. Eg, if you want to change all low values by spaces you will use - REPLALL=(01,00,X'00',C' '). Here 01 is starting position, 00 represents upto end of record, X'00' is for low values and C' ' is for spaces.

Diba.

#5:  Author: sladeLocation: Edison, NJ USA PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:33 pm
    —
Hi Suresh,

Can you provide a list of the invalid chars you're looking to bypass (replace w/spaces)?

If you can, I'm sure an answer would be forthcoming.

Regards, Jack.

MVSFORUMS.com -> Utilities

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1