Job Name
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]

MVSFORUMS.com -> Job Control Language(JCL)

#1: Job Name Author: sanatLocation: chennai PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 8:38 am
    —
In a JCL, we specify the Jobname which is mandatory. Why it is so, when the system uses unique JOBID to identify a Job? Is there any specific why it is not optional?

#2:  Author: Bill DennisLocation: Iowa, USA PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 9:04 am
    —
One answer may be that jobs had names long before there was even such a thing as JES JOBIDs. Also, JOBID is unique only until the numbers wrap-around. The combination of jobname and JOBID is much more unique as a job identifier.

Bill

#3:  Author: CaptBillLocation: Pasadena, California, USA PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 4:56 pm
    —
If I told you my name was Bill and my taxpayer id was 123-45-6789 but in 5 minutes my name would still Bill, but my taxpayer id would be 965-23-7694, which would you be able to remember?

Same thing holds for JOBNAME and JOBID.

#4:  Author: MikeLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 7:08 pm
    —
As the JOBID is not known until the job is submitted it would make things very difficult not to have a previously known identifier, how would schedulers work as one example?

MVSFORUMS.com -> Job Control Language(JCL)

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1