Copying first 5 records from a PS to another PS
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]

MVSFORUMS.com -> TSO and ISPF

#1: Copying first 5 records from a PS to another PS Author: venu PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:29 am
    —
I have a Problem in copying the first 5 records from a PS to another PS.

The Situation that exists here is as follows:-
a) Existing PS is a variable length dataset
b) No Access to any tools
c) Cannot write sort steps to submit a JCL because of restricted access
d) some records run a few lines and some records are a single line.so not able to identify where the records start and where it ends.
e) Since there are 92,323 records the PS is not opening in Edit mode even when i try to open it ..it is Browse substituted

i'm looking forward for a direction

#2:  Author: PhantomLocation: The Blue Planet PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:35 am
    —
Venu,

Code:

b) No Access to any tools

Really ??? Can't you use any tool like FILE-AID / Easytrieve / IBM Utilities - IEBPTPCH ?

Code:

d) some records run a few lines and some records are a single line.so not able to identify where the records start and where it ends.

Are you talking about Variable Spanned file ??? A record in a Normal VB file does not span over a line.

Thanks,
Phantom

#3:  Author: venu PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:06 am
    —
b) Yes I do not have access to any tools . I have only read access to the source PDS and PS and no access to any tools because the Service provider is a third party.I have to simulate those in third party MF env to my Environment

d) Yes

#4:  Author: kolusuLocation: San Jose PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:14 am
    —
Can't you even run a step using IDCAMS? if that is the case then you can try this approach.

Alllocate a dataset under your id with just 1 track as space. Now using 3.3 copy the source dataset to your t-id. it will fail as you run out of space. But it will copy some of the records to your id. I would hope it will be more than 5.

Now edit this dataset to get your desired records.

Hope this helps...

Cheers

Kolusu

#5:  Author: venu PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:46 am
    —
Yes it works .thanks a lot ...

MVSFORUMS.com -> TSO and ISPF

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1