RDW content
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]

MVSFORUMS.com -> Application Programming

#1: RDW content Author: misi01Location: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:01 am
    —
I don't have access to a mainframe at the moment, otherwise I'd test this myself using DFSORT.

I understand the concept of the RDW for variable files. I'm writing/debugging code on the PC using WinEdit and GNUCobol. My program creates a VB file and I'm wondering about the actual content of the RDW.

Put simply. If the record being written is 10 bytes long. does the RDW contain '000A0000'x (10 for the actual record length), or does it contain '000E0000'x (10 for the actual length + 4 for the length of the RDW)?

#2:  Author: Robert SampleLocation: Atlanta PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:57 am
    —
You don't need access to a mainframe to find this information. From https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/zosbasics/com.ibm.zos.zconcepts/zconcepts_159.htm there is (emphasis added by me):
Quote:
V (Variable)
This format has one logical record as one physical block. A variable-length logical record consists of a record descriptor word (RDW) followed by the data. The record descriptor word is a 4-byte field describing the record. The first 2 bytes contain the length of the logical record (including the 4-byte RDW). The length can be from 4 to 32,760 bytes. All bits of the third and fourth bytes must be 0, because other values are used for spanned records. This format is seldom used.

#3:  Author: misi01Location: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:54 am
    —
Thanks Robert. I looked for it, but not as well as you did Very Happy

MVSFORUMS.com -> Application Programming

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1