converting files with big LRECL
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]

MVSFORUMS.com -> Job Control Language(JCL)

#1: converting files with big LRECL Author: mf_user PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:36 am
    —
Hi,

Would you please advise me on this.......

Is it useful to convert a PS file with LRECL of 31034 to a VB file? Does it work for a file of big LRECL?

Please help.

Thanks.

#2: Re: converting files with big LRECL Author: Anuj DhawanLocation: Mumbai,India PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:20 am
    —
mf_user wrote:
Is it useful to convert a PS file with LRECL of 31034 to a VB file? Does it work for a file of big LRECL?
"Useful" in what manner, do you have something in mind? And, are the records of different length in file? If they are not, what's the use of having RECFM=VB?

Last edited by Anuj Dhawan on Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total

#3:  Author: papadi PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:50 pm
    —
Quote:
Would you please advise me on this.......
Possibly, if you explain what you are trying to accomplish. . .

"Big" doesn't relate to "variable", unless (as Anuj suggests) the record length varies. If these records are all the same length, using VB will only waste space and require more processing overhead. . .

#4:  Author: mf_user PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:28 am
    —
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, each record length varies. Does it still hold good to convert a LRECL of 31034 to a VB?

Thanks again.

#5:  Author: kolusuLocation: San Jose PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:29 am
    —
mf_user wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, each record length varies. Does it still hold good to convert a LRECL of 31034 to a VB?

Thanks again.

Well that is the basic concept of a VB file.

#6:  Author: Anuj DhawanLocation: Mumbai,India PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:27 am
    —
It would be nice if you explain what final goal do you have to achieve. Because, unfortunately your description of what you want is not explnatory enough thus far. This:
Quote:
Is it useful to convert a PS file with LRECL of 31034 to a VB file?
kind of question which qualifies only for the answer of type - it depends.

If your application wants it to be VB, okay do that; if not please don't do that. There is no usefulness, I can forsee solely because the file is changed from FB to VB!

#7:  Author: kolusuLocation: San Jose PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:37 am
    —
Anuj Dhawan wrote:
If your application wants it to be VB, okay do that; if not please don't do that. There is no usefulness, I can forsee solely because the file is changed from FB to VB!

Did you account for space savings for a VB file with variable length versus FB file with an LRECL of 31034?

#8:  Author: papadi PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:55 pm
    —
Quote:
Yes, each record length varies.
Not in the current file. All of the physical records by definition are the same length.

If the "used data" length varies, then some space might be saved using variable length - but there would need to be a process to know how to write these different length records from the input fixed records.

Also, any process that uses the file later would most likely need to be modified.

#9:  Author: Anuj DhawanLocation: Mumbai,India PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:55 am
    —
kolusu wrote:
Anuj Dhawan wrote:
If your application wants it to be VB, okay do that; if not please don't do that. There is no usefulness, I can foresee solely because the file is changed from FB to VB!

Did you account for space savings for a VB file with variable length versus FB file with an LRECL of 31034?
The way I look at is - there is some FB file with LRECL=31034 and the question now is to use LRECL=VB. So even when OP says,
Quote:
each record length varies
I don't happen to agree on that for the "current file" because all of the physical records by very definition are the same length. So even if VB is used what's the benefit unless the application creating the file itself creates it as VB.

#10:  Author: kolusuLocation: San Jose PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:58 am
    —
Anuj Dhawan wrote:
I don't happen to agree on that for the "current file" because all of the physical records by very definition are the same length. So even if VB is used what's the benefit unless the application creating the file itself creates it as VB.

Anuj Dhawan,

I think OP has the current file which has occurs clause defined for the max occurrence and some of the records might not have data populated. This would be either spaces or low-values.

ex:
Code:

a
aa
aaa
aaaa
aaaaa
aaaaaa
aaaaaaa
aaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaa

You can trim the trailing spaces/low-values using VLTRIM=C' ' and convert it into a VB file. After the trim, the RDW will have the appropriate length of record.

#11:  Author: Anuj DhawanLocation: Mumbai,India PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:17 am
    —
That make sense kolusu but why OP is so silent?

MVSFORUMS.com -> Job Control Language(JCL)

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1