MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacing EXEC CICS START TRANS command with EXEC CICS LINK

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> CICS and Middleware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jayakrishnan
Beginner

Topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Replacing EXEC CICS START TRANS command with EXEC CICS LINK Reply with quote

Hi Friends,

I need your sincere help in solving one of my project requirements. I shall explain you the scenario below :-

I have a C language program that resides in a CICS region. This C program internally invokes a transaction using EXEC CICS START TRANS command that executes a COBOL program within the same CICS region. A new project requirement has been initiated to replace this transaction call in the C program with an EXEC CICS LINK command. Can you all please guide me with the changes that I need to make on both the C program as well as on the COBOL program inorder to accept the project requirement.

Currently, the C program passes a pointer to a structure when it is invoking the COBOL program using the transaction. The COBOL accepts the incoming pointer using the EXEC CICS RETRIEVE command.

I think I may have to use a common area for passing data to the COBOL program as well as for receiving data from the COBOL program. ut I am not sure regarding the actual changes that i need to make on the calling program as well as on the called program side.

Thanks in advance.
ravikumar_sri2001
Beginner

Topics: 44

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can pass the pointer thru commarea from the calling program

EXEC CICS LINK(SUBPROGRAM) COMMAREA(WS-POINTER)
END-EXEC

In the called program, define a pointer under DFHCOMMAREA. Define the structure in linkage section. Using SET ADDRESS statement establish the addressability for the passed data.

01 DFHCOMMARA.
05 LS-POINTER POINTER.

01 PASSED-DATA PIC X(??).

SET ADDRESS OF PASSED-DATA TO LS-POINTER

Hope this helps you.

Thanks,
Ravikumar.
Jayakrishnan
Beginner

Topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Thanks Ravi Reply with quote

Dear Ravi,

Thanks for your help. Let me just try this out . Will let you know the progress.

Thanks much.
Regards,

Jayakrishnan
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> CICS and Middleware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: