MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Convert 40 data sets, but keep GDG refrences in sync

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Job Control Language(JCL)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
serobinson
Beginner

Topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Convert 40 data sets, but keep GDG refrences in sync Reply with quote

Our shop wants to convert 40 or so data sets. That means inccrease length and reformatt data. We intend to do this by running a job after CICS but before nightly processing. What is the best way to convert the data sets without causing GDG refrences problems? Considering the range of generations refrenced in nightly batch processing, the bases have low GDG limits, and the oldest generation is scratched.

We intend to use File Mananger for the conversion so that isn't an issue for this post.
superk
Advanced

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Create new datasets with the same generation, but a different version, i.e.:

for generation HLQ.SOME.THING.G0001V00

create the new re-formatted dataset HLQ.SOME.THING.G0001V01
serobinson
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Superk. That is exactly what I'm looking for. Do I need to use an absolute generation number or is there a way to use a relative one? If you know of a good link, you can just post that. I have not been able to find one that answers all of my questions about GDG versions.
Therefore, I'm making some assumptions about versions. Correct me if I'm wrong.

1) GDGs with relative numbers access the newest version.
2) Creating a new version will not scratch other generations when the base is defined with the scratch attribute.
dbzTHEdinosauer
Supermod

Topics: 26

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

relative nunbers relate to a unique file. 0 is latest, -1 is 1 before the latest, etc...

A new version will scratch the oldest, when the newest causes the max number of versions to exceed the limit set during the gdg creation.
serobinson
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbz I'm not sure that you understand what superk and I are talking about. You are talking about a generation(G0001). We are talking about a version(V01) of a generation. Also, the newest generation will only cause the oldest one to scratch if the base is defined with the scratch attribute. You can define the base with other attributes, for ex: NOSCRATCH.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Job Control Language(JCL) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: