MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scrollable/Selectable/Dynamic area

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> TSO and ISPF
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John_Deal
Beginner

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Scrollable/Selectable/Dynamic area Reply with quote

I need to create an ISPF panel that has a 'dynamic' area that is scrollable and also will allow the user to select various items in the list. My question is this: Is the best way to do this is to load the files in a temporary table and then do TBDISP with )MODEL or is there a better way? Smile
8)
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John_Deal,

Check this link which might help you

http://www.mvsforums.com/helpboards/viewtopic.php?p=22771#22771

Kolusu
John_Deal
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A link to a link... Interesting... Smile Thanks for the info... I'll check it out and see if it will work for my application... I'll post results as soon as I know them...
8)
John_Deal
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That stuff seems to be OUTPUT only... I need to be able to have some input fields on the panel in the dynamic area. I probably have to use the TABLE processing options so that I can use )MODEL (which will allow an input field)... Sad
8)
semigeezer
Supermod

Topics: 13

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dynamic areas allow input fields too. You just need to manually check them. There are options in the )AREA section to change the attribute byte if the data is modified but I find it easier to just check the field. If you are willing to spend the time to code the dynamic area, you'll find that it is much more flexible than table displays and you'll probably never go back to TBDISPL. I haven't coded anything but a trivial (output only) TBDISPL in over 10 years.

If you are doing his from a compiled language (COBOL, PLI, not Rexx) then you'll find dynamic areas for table displays to be almost trivial to write. Just create an array of structures (each structure is a line) that is as wide as the screen, fill it, and do a VREPLACE pointing to the 1st line you want to display. Attribute bytes are just regular fields in the table. A little math for finding the length to display and for scrolling, and you are done.
John_Deal
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep... I've gotten it to work for output and I've even got a DATAIN field attribute that will let me type stuff in the dynamic area... Now I'm having trouble reading the input fields in my REXX... I know I'm doing/not doing something simple, but I can't see the forest for the trees... Crying or Very sad
8)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> TSO and ISPF All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: