MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

COPYBOOK containing CICS commands

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> CICS and Middleware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dibakar
Advanced

Topics: 63

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 3:10 am    Post subject: COPYBOOK containing CICS commands Reply with quote

Hi,

While look at a compilation problems I came to know that we cannot use copbooks containing CICS commands in a Cobol program -

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/DFHJAP3B/1.1.5?DT=20030108142051

I would like to know how a program is compiled if I want to use copybooks with CICS commands.

Thanks,
Diba.
Brian
Beginner

Topics: 6

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dibakar,

COPY books are expanded only during a cobol compile and if you step through your online program compile JCLs you will note that there is a translator step that scans your program replacing all CICS commands with equivalent COBOL CALL statements.

There are 2 ways (or more ....) using which you can use copy books with the CICS commands. Code all your CICS commands as a member and pass this member to the translator step. This will create the necessary cobol call statements. COPY this member in your program.The only problem you will face here is the number of copy books that you will need to add to your program.This is cumbersome and may not be considered a good programming practice.

Step 2 is using an integrated translator. Hopefully other board members will throw more light on this.

Cheers
Brian
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dibakar,

As brian mentioned the copybooks are expanded only during the compilation. But with the new versions of cics and COBOl you can use the new integrated translator to perform compilation and translation in one step. I believe starting with CICS TS V2.2 on wards support this feature.

Check this link

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/DFHP3A00/1.2.2?DT=20031106151755

By any chance are you compiling the program thru endevor? If so then endevor has a special library which will first pull in the copy book.

Hope this helps...

cheers

Kolusu
Dibakar
Advanced

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have CICS 1.3, so I won't get integrated translator. I am not using endeavor either. Thanks for your suggestions.

Diba.
Mike Chantrey
Intermediate

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way to expand copybooks is the ISPF program ISRLEMX, which is documented here: http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/ISPZPC10/4.8.3
warp5
Intermediate

Topics: 18

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use copy books that have CICS commands in them. You run the source copy books through the translator step to generate the copy book that is actually used in your cobol program. Your program usually goes through the precompiler (translator), but this does not process the copy books. The compiler does, that is why the copy books with CICS commands in them must be run through the precompiler (translator). The same is true with DB2.
Dibakar
Advanced

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry,

I was on leave, not that long, and suddenly people containing about 70% exoerience in the team resigned so having a hectic time now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> CICS and Middleware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: