MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Access CICS file from Batch

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> CICS and Middleware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mfnerd
Beginner

Topics: 6

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:12 am    Post subject: Access CICS file from Batch Reply with quote

Hi,
I've a situation where i need to capture some data from certain transactions and eventually run a batch program to process that data.

I know this can be attained by writing TDQ's/VSAM files etc and that data can be read by a batch job.However,i haven't used it till now.

Could anyone please let me know what steps i need to follow.Also,do i need to involve the CICS admin ?.(To setup interface between TSO and CICS region) ?.

Thanks for any help !
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mfnerd,

There are several ways to accomplish this task.

You can trigger the batch job from your CICS program itself

You can spool the transaction data to the spool and later on process it in batch.check this link for CICS interface to JES

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/DFHCAP34/4.6?DT=19990319124947

You can put the data to be processed from the transactions in a db2 table with the current timestamp. This will eliminate the contention for the files. To process the data ,you can wither have a program to read,process the data or unload the data from the table and process it

You can write it to a vsam file and process it later.But as long as the transaction is running CICS will have exclusive control of the file and it cannot be read by the batch program. So you need to disable the transaction before the batchg process starts and enable it back after the batch job completion.

Hope this helps...

cheers

kolusu
mfnerd
Beginner

Topics: 6

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kolusu !
manojagrawal
Beginner

Topics: 29

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8) When I first saw this message, and saw the Avatar of Mfnerd, I thought WOW Kolusu has a doubt!!!!!! But as i reached the reply i realised it wasnt Kolusu asking, but Kolusu Replying. Mr. Green
hatrack
Beginner

Topics: 0

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beg to differ we read our open online vsam files with batch jobs all the time maybe not right up to the last sec but good enough for gov work. on rereading you said while tran was running. I agree with this but most cics trans get in/out in fraction sec so vsam file would have info when buffer? closed/end of task.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> CICS and Middleware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: